Thursday, April 19, 2007

Aspirin and Cancer

This article says that “A daily dose of adult-strength aspirin may modestly reduce cancer risk in populations with high rates of colorectal, prostate, and breast cancer if taken for at least five years.” I thought this article was interesting, although I personally would not take aspirin of any strength for five years because I would be afraid I might get tinnitus, which is one common side-effect of aspirin use. But this article is interesting not only because of the cancers against which it may protect, but also because of the cancers against which it does not protect, namely lung cancer, bladder cancer, melanoma, leukemia, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, pancreatic cancer, and kidney cancer. More research needs to be done.

Here is another article that says aspirin may help protect against cancer, while other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may not.

If you Google this you get a number of articles that suggest aspirin protects against cancer. In fact one article, in seeming contradiction of the first article above, says aspirin may reduce lung cancer risk.

Sorry, I still don’t plan to take aspirin.


, , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a good idea to take on another risk just to minimize the risk of a certain ailment. If the one risk is deadly and it's likely that you will get it, then probably the use of another risk is welcome.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Oscar. I am sure it's not safe to take on another risk. It will just increase your chances of getting sick. I think there are other ways of minimizing our risks of getting cancer.