Monday, April 2, 2007

Omega-6 Fatty Acids

According to this article, “The current typical American diet contains 20 times more omega-6 than omega-3, a ratio that researchers say should be lowered to 4-to-1, or even 2-to-1.” One of the main reasons I mention this article is that I have long understood this situation to be the case – i.e., that Americans consume too many omega-6s, and that such a diet is not good – but so far it has been difficult to find a trustworthy article that explicitly stated these numbers. Furthermore this article goes on to talk about a possible relationship between omega-6 consumption (think French fries, corn oil, soybean oil, etc.) bodily inflammation and other health issues such as depression. We need to stop consuming so much omega-6 fatty acids. We would be a lot healthier if we did.


, , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Raggedy said...

I still have weight issues but we have been trying very hard to eat better and healthier. Thank you for clarifying what an omega-6 is because I had no clue. We don't eat fries, corn oil, or soybean oil. The only oil I use is olive and only lightly.
I switched to drinking only one or two cups of coffee and the rest of the time tea or water. We have not had junk food like chips and such in the house for over 6 months. I know it is just a start but at least I feel like I am making an attempt. I cut out all canned vegetables and switched to fresh or frozen. I didn't realize the salt content in those cans. I had served canned vegetables for years. Your blog helps me learn a little more every time I am here.
Thank you.
Have a Happy Easter!
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy

Raggedy said...

Happy Easter!
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy