Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Health Notes

Scientists have genetically engineered a tomato that contains more flavonoids and therefore presumably is more effective in fighting heart disease. I’m not crazy about genetically engineering our food. Sorry, I just don’t trust scientists all that much. Also, I really think that if people watched their diet, stopped eating saturated fat, reduced their cholesterol intake, etc, then a lot of these health problems would go away. BTW, you can eat more tomatoes. Also you can take supplements like Lycopene, one of the major ingredients in tomatoes that fights cholesterol. You don’t have to genetically engineer the tomato.

Be careful to watch your intake of copper. It has been linked to mental decline.

Does anyone need more reasons to lose weight and avoid becoming obese? Maybe you’d like to avoid high blood pressure and liver damage for yourself and your children?

Can adopting a vegan diet reverse the symptoms of diabetes? Sounds good to me, since I am vegan, or very nearly so. I do, however, supplement with B vitamins.


The isoflavones in soy products may not lower cholesterol as much as previously thought, but they may promote “decreased platelet aggregation,” which seems to have a positive effect on heart health.





Grape seed extract may reduce cancer size and inhibit cancer growth. There are lots of articles on this, dealing with colorectal, breast, and prostate. You might not want to run out and buy a bunch of grape seed extract, but I don’t see anything wrong with taking a little grape seed extract. I wouldn’t try to act as my own doctor and treat a diagnosed disease myself, but I don’t see anything wrong with adding healthy things to my diet, and eliminating unhealthy things.

Here is an interesting article. Cranberry juice has antimicrobial properties that inhibit the growth of bacteria in the bladder. Arteries need nitric oxide, which they can get from walnuts, in order to get the blood they require to remain elastic.

Other NotesStrawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges? – Eating a balanced diet helps prevent osteoporosis?


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: