Saturday, March 17, 2007

Blood Sugar and Cancer

High blood sugar increases your risk of cancer? I guess I'm not too surprised, although this article seems to confirm it.

You know, I was beginning to worry a little about the sugar I put in my Cheerios, the sugar in my green tea, all the fruit I eat; but then I remembered that the average American consumes about a gallon of soft drinks per week (somebody else is consuming my gallon because I don’t drink any), so whatever I am doing I think it pales in comparison to what everyone else is doing. I see these people carrying around these Big Gulp-type soft drinks, sipping on them regularly; I go to some (unnamed) fast food restaurants where it is very difficult to buy a truly small soft drink; and if sugar really does increase our risk of cancer, then these places that are selling us all these soft drinks are certainly contributing to the epidemic of cancer in the country.

The article above says, “By avoiding excessive fat and other dietary risk factors, and by getting regular exercise, you can decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes -- and cancer." The only problem with all this is that people would defend their right to drink a gallon or more of soft drinks per week a lot more vigorously than they defend their right to kill themselves eating trans fat, etc., so I don’t know how much good reports like these do. There are some people, however, who are glad to make healthy choices, and I suppose those people are glad to know that by limiting their sugar intake they are doing something positive for their lives.

Here is an interesting article. I don’t know how accurate it is. And here are more articles on sugar and cancer.

One more thing: it is getting more and more difficult to ignore the fact that what you eat and how you live can have a profound effect on your health. Think about it.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Raggedy said...

I want you to know how much I appreciate the time and the research time you are putting in to bring us the wealth of information you are sharing with us.
Great links and information!
Thank you!
Happy St.Patrick's Day!
What do you eat since you don't eat corned beef?
Huggles
Raggedy

Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Well thank you Raggedy for the kind words. I feel as if I am doing something important by bringing some of this information to people who might not see it otherwise. It makes me feel good to know that maybe I am helping someone.

Corned Beef? Actually I love corned beef. I like pastrami more, on rye bread with lots of mustard. But you're right, I don't eat all that anymore.

What did I have to eat today? Breakfast, same as usual: Cheerios, soy milk; demitasse of hot cocoa, without milk, but with sugar; cup of green tea; then a bunch of walnuts in the leftover soy milk -- all spread out over a couple of hours while I was blogging.

For lunch I had two bananas, and a bowl of oatmeal (I usually eat this kind of lunch about once per week.) Walked for 30 minutes, then took my son to work at the mall, had another banana, and walked another 30.

For dinner tonight I stopped by the Lebanese store and got a takeout platter with pasta salad, potato salad, one falafel, hummus, and half a wholewheat pita.

After that I stopped by Whole Foods because I had a hankering for some more organic plums like I got there a few days ago. They're not as good as the little sweet pluots I got there last June or July, but they're pretty good.

Corned beef and cabbage? Well the cabbage is good for me . . .