Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Inflammation

Recent research suggests that inflammation may be the culprit that causes prostate cancer to metastisize. The article goes on to say “promoting inflammation of the cancerous tissue, for instance, by performing prostate biopsies, may, ironically, hasten progression of metastasis.” They use the word “ironically.” I might say “tragically.” I assume that the prostate biopsies they are talking about are necessary. If not, then the situation would be even more tragic, especially in this day when some people are talking about a wait and see approach to prostate cancer. If, however, “inflammation associated with the progression of tumors actually plays a key role in the metastasis of prostate cancer,” then that would seem support the idea that the sooner we get rid of the cancer the better, because presumably we would be avoiding the inflammation.

I know I seem ambivalent in this post – operate, don’t operate – but prostate problems apparently are complicated, and it is sometimes difficult to know what to do.

Don’t get me started on biopsies, though. I wish I had never had one. There was really nothing wrong with me at the time and I think my biopsy was unnecessary. Now they’re saying that doing biopsies could trigger a process that leads to cancer’s metastisizing? Lord, save me from the doctors.

One thing about it all, though: I think we can draw the conclusion that inflammation is not a good thing. I personally am doing everything I can do to keep inflammation down, as I talked about yesterday in the post “More Reasons to Lose Weight,” and as I will touch on in my next post "Inflammation is Bad."


, , , , , , , , ,

No comments: