Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Breast Cancer

Do antiperspirants cause breast cancer? According to this article “ there was no conclusive research linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants to breast cancer.”

One thing that interests me about this article though is the fact that “ the average adult is exposed to 126 chemicals every day -- just in their personal care product use alone,” and that “one in every 13 women is exposed to a known or a probable human carcinogen every day, with one in every 24 women -- or 4.3 million total -- exposed to personal care ingredients that are known or probable reproductive and developmental toxins.”

I, for one, would like to get rid of all these toxins. But I suppose everyone remembers what happened when people proposed getting rid of trans fats. There was a big uproar, with an extremely vocal segment of society crying FOOD POLICE, or NANNY STATE, or things like that. So I presume if we call for the elimination of toxins in our personal care products you would probably have an extremely vocal segment of society screaming that they have a right to expose themselves to 126 chemicals every day, including reproductive and developmental toxins. Doesn’t anyone see how absurd all that is?


Do antiperspirants cause breast cancer? So far scientists don’t know for certain. But put another way, if I don’t use antiperspirants, then I know for sure that they will not cause me to get breast cancer. If I do use them, then I can’t be so sure. The question then becomes, do I want to take that chance? For me the answer is no. I do just fine without antiperspirants. I daresay that most people do, or would if they gave it a try. In many cases they are just one more thing that we the public have been sold.

If we don’t use these products though, some corporation is not going to make the money they were planning to make. But don’t worry. I’m sure they’ll come up with something else to sell us.


, , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Raggedy said...

Good post!
Have a fabulous day!
Huggles