Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Of Death and Vitamins

This article says, “Supplements ‘raise death rate by 5%’” They are talking about vitamin A, beta carotene, and vitamin E. Is this really news? Haven’t we known for some time not to take beta carotene? I even think I heard something a few years ago about vitamin E, but I'm not sure. This article talks about the current issues surrounding vitamin E. There is even a reference that says taking vitamins E and C together might reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by 64 to 78%? That's interesting.

There was an article the other day that said selenium and vitamin E taken together work to strengthen the immune system. And when I had my prostate checked a few years ago the doctor recommended I take selenium, yet the above article even questions the effectiveness of selenium.

What are you supposed to believe in all this? What are you supposed to do? Take supplements or not take supplements?

Since I am vegetarian I will continue to take a B supplement. But I do think that when it comes to getting vitamins and antioxidants it has always been, and will continue to be better to get them from your diet.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: