Saturday, February 24, 2007

Weather Warnings

I think there is pretty much of a consensus that air pollution contributes to people having strokes. Here is one article, and here is another article. If there’s not an actual consensus, at least there is enough of one for me so that I’m more careful. That is one reason why I do my walking at the mall in the summer, especially when it is so hot, humid, and hazy outside. It is obvious that such conditions are unhealthy.

Also, this article says that cold weather can increase heart attack risks, and not just from shoveling snow. Apparently the cold may lead to increased blood viscosity, increased clotting factors, and increased pressure on the heart wall, all of which could lead to a heart attack in someone with existing risk factors. This is another reason why I do my walking at the mall.


, , , , , , , , ,

No comments: